0 comments

FIM 2010: Language Pack Update 1 Install Issue

Published on Sunday, March 13, 2011 in

Again I’m posting with some FIM 2010 Update 1 issue. I’m not trying to make a statement regarding the stability of the FIM software, I’m just active in an instable environment Sad smile. This error I received when trying to update a FIM 2010 Service and Portal Language Pack installation to Update 1.

The installer for Update 1 is a next next finish, but somewhere in the middle an application error occurs and the rollback is performed.

The error:

image

In words:

Microsoft.ResourceManagement.Setup.LanguagePack.Resource has stopped working.

I had absolutely no clue what the cause could be. I was logged on using a FIM Installer Account, so permissions should have been fine. On the list of todo’s for this environment I also had a WSS security hotfix. This is the hotfix I mentioned in WSS Killer Security Update. I prefer to install it in a controlled way instead of receiving it through WSUS. However installing the update didn’t work out. The setup just failed. The log files pointed me to: KB939308: Error message when you try to modify or to delete an alternate access mapping in Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: "An update conflict has occurred, and you must re-try this action"

After following the actions in that KB article, I reran the installer of the hotfix and everything worked out fine.

And guess what: the Language Pack Update 1 installer finished just fine too! I have no proof that they are related, but I ran the update multiple times, every time resulting in a crash. Once I cleared the cache of WSS as described in the article the update ran fine.

Happy updating!

Related Posts

No Response to "FIM 2010: Language Pack Update 1 Install Issue"

Add Your Comment